Heart Check

Ken Silva


2 Corinthians 9: 6Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. 7Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.


The Apostle Paul uses the analogy of sowing, which is related to farming. The word picture in my mind is that of an ear of corn. If you strip off all the kernels and plant them (sow them into the ground) you will reap an abundant harvest (many stalks of corn). In verse 7 Paul reminds us that giving is a choice. It is not a mandate, it is an act of worship, of thanksgiving, and faith. It is also a deliberate choice that we commit to. That is why he says, “you should give what you have decided in your heart to give”.


The tithe, giving, stewardship, whatever you want to call it makes most church goers uncomfortable. I admit that the thought crosses my mind that my tithe could be used for something else, a car payment, or my groceries for the week. I have to remind myself that when I tithe I’m not “losing” money, I am investing in a way that is much bigger than myself. The benefit I receive is the harvest God promises from my faithfulness. I remember reading this somewhere; “think of the tithe (10%) as a fence that is put in place to protect the remaining 90% from the enemy”. Verse 7 reminds us that the tithe is a deliberate act, an intentional choice. As such, I need to carve it out by setting up an automatic online giving. In the past I have been weak (or selfish) and if my finances are a little tight I may “miss” the tithe bucket. I believe God sees our heart and honors our commitments. Finally, I must never forget everything, I mean so many blessings that God has placed in my life. The least I can do is give back a portion so that others can come to know our amazing God.


Dear Lord thank you for your generosity in my life. Thank you for the reminder today about giving. You don't need anything, you are the master of the universe, but you desire to be in a loving relationship with me. Lord let me never forget the importance of giving and help me to shake off the worldly yoke of "materialism". I place my trust in you Lord. Amen.

Devotions for April 09

1 Samuel 6,7
Psalm 72
2 Corinthians 9

Start Doing Devotions

Devotions are an important part of everyday life. Click here to learn how to do devotions.